Clutter is something that everyone has to deal with. When you want it to be gone, here are a few tips and tricks to help you get rid of it.
How to Get Rid of Clutter:
- Make a list. Create a list of all the areas in your home you want to declutter. It can be as easy or as difficult as you want, but creating a list of what needs to be done helps you stay on task.
- Pull everything out of your drawer. This one is simple. Just take your drawer and dump it. Go through the contents and separate it into three piles: stuff that belongs, stuff that goes somewhere else, and trash. Afterwards, throw away the trash and return the other items to their rightful place.
- Use the four box method. Grab four boxes and label them trash, give away, keep, and relocate. Go through your stuff and place items in each of the boxes. Try the 12-12-12 challenge while you are doing this. 12 items to throw away, 12 items to donate, and 12 items to keep. This helps to make sure that you are not just keeping everything.
- Create a “maybe” box. If there’s stuff that you don’t use, but you think you might need it someday, create a maybe box and put all the stuff in there. After you’ve packed the box, move it out of the way. Put a note somewhere to return to your box in six months. After that time has passed, look in the box again and see if you need anything. If you haven’t returned to the box during those six months or find that you don’t need anything in the box, get rid of the stuff.
- Clear out your medicine cabinet. If you don’t already have a spot for all your medicine, now is the perfect time to make one. Go through your medicines and get rid of any outdated medicine, or anything you don’t use anymore, anything that you’re allergic to. Basically, just get down to the essentials.
- Shed seasonally. An easy way to keep clutter at bay is to go through your wardrobe and home at the end of every season. Get rid of things that you know you won’t be using into the new season and that you know what be used next year.
Remember, decluttering is a big task! Don’t bit off more than you can chew. You shouldn’t just set aside one day to clean out your entire home. It’s much easier to spend a few hours in one space. Take your time, and keep up with the clean space once you’ve decluttered the area.