Decorating a home can be difficult, especially if you’re not sure exactly what you want in your space. IKEA aims to help ease the stress with their new app IKEA Place. When introduced, the iOS 11 update brought with it a new ARKit Tech, which allowed companies to incorporate augmented reality into their apps.
What is the app?
IKEA Place uses Apple’s augmented reality technology to help you with your decorating process. The app lets you scan the store’s offerings and then see how the items would look in your home. It allows you to reposition everything, move items closer or further away, and view them from different angles. The app even lets you get a full 360-view of an item. That means you can look underneath objects and from behind them to get the best understanding of what an object looks like.
How to use the app
Using the app is simple. First, you must have iOS 11, since the app depends on the technology included in the update. Afterward, download the app! Once you have the app on your phone:
- Ensure that the room you are in is well lit.
- Hold your phone at waist level.
- Move your device around to scan an empty piece of floor.
- Search the list of products and select one.
- Find the empty spot in the room you want to fill and place the product there.
- If you’d like, select other products and add them to your space.
- Determine whether the piece is perfect for you!
The app lets you share your new space on social apps so you can get the opinion of your trusted friends and family. The best part? When you find something you really like, you can order the product through the IKEA store on the app!